Monday, September 6, 2010

Does time heal bad design?

When I recently was waiting for the bus (yes occasionally I do use public transport ...) the new Mercedes E Convertible in white drove by, just as pictured here. I thought, what an ugly car this is! Well, it's not really ugly, but it's not a beauty neither. I specifically dislike the back of the car. It just doesn't look right. Well, what I thought was, whether I will like this car maybe in 3, 5 or 20 years in the future. I must say, I can't remember a car design that I didn't like when it was new and appreciate now that it's old. I still don't like the Ford Scorpio and I still don't like most of the Peugeots of the 21th century. So, my answer to the question in the title is: No. But let's see what other people think ....

2 comments:

John L said...

I think ugly cars grow on you a bit over time.

Bruno von Rotz said...

Well, maybe some do, but others certainly don't. It's a tricky subject. What I am though very sure is that even if a car looks pretty when new that doesn't mean the design ages well.